How to Obtain a Car Dealer License: A Step-by-Step Guide
How to Get a Car Dealer License Guide
Step #1: Choose Your Car Dealership Type
- New vehicle dealer license
- Used vehicle dealer license
- Wholesale vehicle dealer license
- Option #1: Research/contact your state's DMV or licensing department, and determine the licensing requirements you must meet. This method is often time consuming, as many states make it difficult to find the necessary licensing information online.
- Option #2: As an alternative to researching your state's requirements on your own, you can find out the exact requirements you must meet to become licensed by selecting your state below.
Step #2: Determine and Meet All Necessary Requirements
- Attend pre-licensing dealer training
- Meet zoning requirements
- Obtaining a permanent business location
- Obtaining liability insurance
- Submitting a criminal record check
- Arranging a place of business inspection
Step #3: Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
- Fill out our online application form to obtain a free bond quote for your auto dealer license. It takes 5 minutes and you will be able to lock your rate for the next 90 days (in case you want to purchase the bond).
Step #4: Submit Your Auto Dealer License Application
Your state's DMV or licensing division will provide you the necessary applications and paperwork that you'll need to fill out. Simply complete the application and other related paperwork, and send it in to the DMV along with your auto dealer bond. Be sure to double check all of your information before submitting it, as errors will likely increase turn around time for your licensing approval.
Step #5: Receive Your Car Dealer License
Once you submit all the required information, your state will review your application, and if approved, will send your license directly to you. This process may take a few weeks depending on your state.