Missouri Auto Dealer License Guide
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
The first thing you’ll need to do is figure out which type of auto dealer license you’ll be applying for. In Missouri, the dealer types are:
- Motor Vehicle Dealer: This includes all dealers who sell new vehicles but are not limited to a single make (this includes Recreation Vehicle (RV) dealers, though they have to obtain special RV plates as well as powersport dealers).
- Franchised New Motor Vehicle Dealer: New motor vehicle dealers who have been franchised to sell a specific make of vehicle.
- Wholesale Motor Vehicle Dealer: Sells vehicles wholesale to other businesses.
- Used Motor Vehicle Dealer: Dealers selling any kind of used vehicles.
Complete Guide for All 50 States
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
You must have and maintain a bona fide place of business during the entire period of your application and registration period. The business location must meet the following requirements:
- A permanently enclosed building, containing the books, records and files necessary to conduct the business.
- A working landline phone
- The location must have a display area, not a public street, sufficient to display the vehicles sold by your dealership. This area must be used only by your dealership and be visible from a public street.
- You must have a clearly visible sign with the name of your dealership displayed in letters at least six inches in height
- The dealership must be open, and the owner able to be contacted, during regular business hours. This must be at least 20 hours a week, spread over at least four business days between 6am and 10pm. These hours must be publically displayed.
Note: Before your application is approved, an authorized law enforcement officer or designee will need to complete an inspection of your building premises and certify it has met all the requirements by completing section 13 of the application form 4682.
Compile the Required Documents
You’ll need to complete one copy of Form 4682 for each license you are applying for.
You’ll need to supply a photograph, between 5x7 inches and 8x10 inches, showing the building, lot, and sign.
For franchise dealerships, you’ll also need a franchise agreement or letter of appointment.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
The cost of a Missouri auto dealer bond is a small percentage of the total bond amount. The bond cost varies depending on your financial strength, e.g. personal credit. You can also take a look at our most frequently asked surety bond questions.
- Fill out our online application form to obtain a free bond quote for your auto dealer license. It takes 5 minutes and you will be able to lock your rate for the next 90 days (in case you want to purchase the bond).
You’ll need to provide a bond or irrevocable line of credit along with your application.
Bond Amount Required:
Complete a Criminal Background Check
You’ll need to go to the Missouri State Highway Patrol’s Missouri Automated Criminal History Site (MACHS) and complete the online form to obtain a criminal background check. Include a printout of the results with your application. There is a fee of $13 for each name checked.
Obtain Liability Insurance
You’ll need to provide a copy of a garage liability insurance policy along with your application.
Complete Dealer Education Training
Submit Your Application
Mail your completed application and all supporting documentation to:
The license fee is $150, plus $50 for four first dealer plate and an addition $10.50 for each additional plate.
Mail your application to:
Motor Vehicle Bureau
Dealer Licensing Section
P.O. Box 43
Jefferson City, MO 65105-0043