Maine Auto Dealer License Guide
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
- New Vehicle Dealer
- Used Vehicle Dealer
- Vehicle Auction
- Equipment Dealer
- Light Trailer Dealer
Complete Guide for All 50 States
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
Your business location must meet the following requirements:
- Be located in a permanent, enclosed building
- Have a display area
- Have an office
- Have reasonable business hours
- Have a repair facility
- Be equipped during posted business hours with tools and equipment
- Display the license and supplement license(s) issued
- Have a sign which should be permanent, more than 12 sq. ft in surface size, readable from 200 ft, and contain the trade or business name of the dealer
- Contain business records
For the full requirements, download the rules for vehicle dealers, auctions, transporters, recyclers, mobile crushers, and loaners.
Note: You need to comply with the zoning requirements and have a notarized zoning form.
Complete the Criminal History Background Check
You are required to complete a criminal history background check with the Maine State Bureau of Investigation ($31 fee).
Obtain Proof of Liability Insurance
Insurance must cover personal injury or death of any one person in the sum of $100,000, any number of persons in the sum of $300,000, and property damage in the sum of $100,000 (29-A M.R.S. §1612). An R-1348 insurance filing must be submitted to the BMV by your insurance company.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
The cost of an auto dealer bond is a small percentage of the total bond amount. The bond cost varies depending on your financial strength, e.g. personal credit. You can also take a look at our most frequently asked surety bond questions.
- Fill out our online application form to obtain a free bond quote for your auto dealer license. It takes 5 minutes and you will be able to lock your rate for the next 90 days (in case you want to purchase the bond).
All dealer applicants must purchase an auto dealer license bond before they can receive their license.
Bond Amount Required:
- $5,000 for 0 to 50 sales
- $10,000 for 51 to 100 sales
- $15,000 for 101 to 150 sales
- $20,000 for 151 to 200 sales
- $25,000 for 201 sales and over
Complete an Official Questionnaire
An official questionnaire with information about your business location and dealership history must be included with your application and notarized.
Pass a Place of Business Location Inspection
Your facility has to meet at least the minimum requirementsfor the type of license(s) you are applying for.
- Copy of the plot plan
- Copy of the partnership agreement (for partnerships)
- Copy of the Articles of Incorporation (for Maine corporation, LLC, LLP etc.)
- A sworn affidavit which includes the names, titles, and ownership percentages of all relevant persons in the business
Note: You will also need to obtain a sales tax number and a federal ID Number or Owner’s Social Security Number. To get your FEIN, contact Maine Revenue Services at (207) 624-9693.
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Fill out the application form (MVD-350) along with all supporting documentation.
- $150.00 initial dealer application filing fee
- $150.00 license fee for all dealers except Light Trailer and Motorcycle Dealers
- $50.00 license fee for Light Trailer and Motorcycle Dealers
- $100.00 secondary lot location fee
- $5.00 – $200.00 fee per dealer plate, based on the type of plate (you’ll find the details on the application form)
Note: Your check should be payable to “Secretary of State.”
Submit your application to:
Secretary of State
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
Dealer and Agent Services
29 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04333-0029