Utah Auto Dealer License Guide
Auto dealership licenses are handled by Utah’s Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division (MVED).
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
- New Motor Vehicle Dealer
- Used Motor Vehicle Dealer
- New Motorcycle, Off-Highway Vehicle and/or Small Trailer Dealer
Note: Information about the other classifications (Dismantler, Crusher, Transporter etc.) can be found on the MVED website.
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
Before you apply for your license, you must establish a permanent business location with the following requirements:
- A permanent office for the sole purpose of managing the auto dealership (i.e., it cannot be shared with other businesses)
- A permanent sign of at least 24 square feet identifying the licensed name of the dealership
- A display area with room for at least three vehicles
- The business location must be easily accessible and the sign, office and display area must be adjacent to one another
Attend a Pre-Licensing Course
All applicants for a dealer license must complete an eight-hour orientation course that can be taken online on MVED’s training website. The online course fee is $100. Alternately, you can obtain a list of licensed companies that offer orientation courses by calling the MVED at 801-297-2600.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
The cost of a Utah auto dealer bond is a small percentage of the total bond amount. The bond cost varies depending on your financial strength, e.g. personal credit. You can also take a look at our most frequently asked surety bond questions.
- Fill out our online application form to obtain a free bond quote for your auto dealer license. It takes 5 minutes and you will be able to lock your rate for the next 90 days (in case you want to purchase the bond).
Dealers in Utah are required to obtain a surety bond. Your bonding company must fill out form TC-450 to be included in your application.
Bond Amount Required:
- Motor Vehicle Dealer: $75,000
- ATV/Snowmobile/Motorcycle/Small Trailer Dealer: $10,000
Compile the Required Documents
- Complete a FBI fingerprint card and fingerprint waiver (TC-465) for each owner of the business
- A sales tax number, obtained from Utah State Tax Commission by submitting application TC-69 by email or in person. Note that you need a federal I.D. for the dealership to apply for a sales tax number.
- A passport-style photo of each owner
- A photo of your business location, showing the sign.
- The original training certificate for the eight-hour training seminar. All members of the business need to attend the seminar and submit their certificates.
- A copy of the franchise agreement. (New Motor Vehicle Dealers only)
- Complete the plate section of the application form (TC-301) to obtain dealer plates. You also need to provide a copy of your plate insurance declaration pages. There is an initial limit of two plates.
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Send your completed application form with the licensing fees, your bond and other supporting documentation attached.
- New or Used Motor Vehicle or Large Trailer Dealers: $127
- New or Used Motorcycle, ATV, Snowmobile, or Small Trailer Dealers: $51
- Fingerprint card: $25 each
- Dealer plates: $12.00 each (two plate maximum) plus $2.50 handling fee
Submit the application in person or mail to the following address:
Motor Vehicle Enforcement Division
210 N. 1950 W
Salt Lake City, UT 84134