Nebraska Auto Dealer License Guide
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
- Used Motor Vehicle License
- Enfranchised Motor Vehicle License
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
To begin, you must obtain a location which complies with all local zoning laws and meets the following requirements:
- A name that reflects the nature of your business.
- Space to display 10 or more vehicles.
- A sign with letters at least eight inches in height and which matches the dealership name that is on the application, bond, and insurance.
- A working telephone, listed with Directory Assistance in the exact dealership name.
- Posted office hours: Your dealership must be open 40 hours per week with at least 20 of those hours during regular business hours (8 AM to 5 PM).
- Either service facilities or an agreement with a service facility within the dealership’s county to handle service and repairs.
Obtain Proof of Liability Insurance
All dealers must have liability insurance covering automobile liability for “any auto” in their stock. A certificate of liability insurance from an insurance carrier authorized to do business in Nebraska must be obtained and submitted with your application.
Compile the Required Documents
You’ll also need to provide the following documents with your application:
- Copy of your zoning permit.
- Photograph of your place of business and dealership sign must be submitted with the application. The sign must be in letters at least eight inches in height and must match the dealership name that is on the application, bond, and insurance.
- Copy of the lease agreement if applicable. The lease must not end before December 31st of the current year and should be in your exact dealer name and address.
- The dealership must choose whether it will be covered under the Nebraska Workers’ Compensation Act or not (you can refer to the Workers Compensation Waiver form for more details).
- If you have a franchise agreement or contract with a manufacturer or distributor, a copy of this franchise agreement or contract must be in the exact dealership name and must accompany the application.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
The cost of an auto dealer bond is a small percentage of the total bond amount. The bond cost varies depending on your financial strength, e.g. personal credit. You can also take a look at our most frequently asked surety bond questions.
- Fill out our online application form to obtain a free bond quote for your auto dealer license. It takes 5 minutes and you will be able to lock your rate for the next 90 days (in case you want to purchase the bond).
Getting bonded is an important licensing requirement. It assures both your customers and the governing body that you will follow all rules and regulations in your dealership operations.
Bond Amount Required: $50,000
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Fill out and submit your application along with all supporting documentation. Do not send any fees until after your license is approved.
Fee: $225 license fee, payable after you’ve completed the final inspection.
Mail your completed application to:
Nebraska Motor Vehicle Industry Licensing Board
PO Box 94697
Lincoln, NE 68509
Pass Your Place of Business Inspection
Once your application has been received, it will be sent to a field investigator.
They will contact you to arrange an inspection. Once you’ve successfully completed the inspection, you’ll return your paperwork, including the fees and inspection documents, to the address above to receive your license.