Oregon Auto Dealer License Guide
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
The first thing you’ll need to do is figure out which type of auto dealer license you’ll be applying for. In Oregon, the dealer types are:
- New Motor Vehicle Dealer
- Used Motor Vehicle Dealer
- Motorcycle, Moped, Snowmobile and/or ATV Dealer
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
Your vehicles must be sold and displayed at your business location. The location must meet the following requirements:
- Be approved by the city/county zoning. You must get approval of your location on your original application form by having it signed in your local city or county office.
- Have sufficient space to display one or more vehicles of the type your dealer license authorizes you to sell
- Have a means for the public to contact the dealer at all times during the dealership’s normal business hours
- Display an exterior sign permanently affixed to the building identifying the dealership by the name shown on the vehicle dealer certificate
- Display the vehicle dealer certificate in a publicly accessible and conspicuous location
Obtain Proof of Liability Insurance
The liability insurance certification form provided by the DMV (on the second page) must be completed, signed and stamped by your insurance company. The DMV will also accept a form furnished by the insurance company, as long as it duplicates the DMV form.
Note: You can apply for an exemption if you sell certain types of vehicles. For an exemption, you must request and fill out form 735-7024. Call DMV Business License Unit at (503) 945-5052 to request the form.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
The cost of an Oregon auto dealer bond is a small percentage of the total bond amount. The bond cost varies depending on your financial strength, e.g. personal credit. You can also take a look at our most frequently asked surety bond questions.
- Fill out our online application form to obtain a free bond quote for your auto dealer license. It takes 5 minutes and you will be able to lock your rate for the next 90 days (in case you want to purchase the bond).
You are required to obtain an auto dealer bond to become licensed in Oregon. A surety bond form is included in your application.
Bond Amount Required:
- $40,000 for new and used vehicle licenses
- $2,000 for motorcycles, mopeds, snowmobiles and ATVs
Attend a Pre-Licensing Course
New auto dealers must complete eight hours of pre-licensing education from an approved course and obtain a certificate, which must be submitted with your application.
The approved education providers are:
- Certified Dealer Education School: www.ordealers.com, 503-399-9199 or 877- 541-2277
- @ Your Pace Online: www.onlineautodealered.com, 877-724-6150 or [email protected] atyourpaceonline.com
- 5th Gear Enterprises, (503) 523-2339 or [email protected]
- Auto Dealers Certified Education School: www.oiada.com, 503-362-6839 or (800) 447-0302
- Dealer Title Services Inc.: www.dealered.net, 800-852-5040
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Complete the Standard Three Year Oregon Dealer Application Packet (New and Used Motor Vehicle licenses only) or Special Three Year Oregon Dealer Application Packet (Motorcycle, Moped, Snowmobile and/or ATV).
- $1,187 for a three-year license and one plate
- $350 for each additional location
- $54 per additional plate
Mail your application to:
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314