New Mexico Auto Dealer License Guide
Auto dealer licenses are issued by the New Mexico Department of Motor Vehicles. Contact them to obtain an application package. The New Mexico Independent Automobile Dealer Association can also provide you with information and assistance regarding the application process. You can receive your full application packet by calling NM Dealer Services at 505-383-2316 or in person at 505 Marquette NW, Albuquerque, NM 87107. Auto dealer forms can be downloaded from the DMV site.
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
- Retail Dealer
- Wholesaler Only
Complete Guide for All 50 States
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
- Choose a unique name for your dealership
- Choose a location for your dealership and complete the Place of Business Affidavit (MVD-10038)
- Include a copy of your lease or property deed in your application
- Install a business sign. The letters must be 6” tall and visible from the street.
Meet Zoning Requirements
- In Albuquerque, call 311. For all other cities, call your local zoning office.
- Complete the Zoning Inspection Certificate (MVD-10178)
Pass a Fire Marshal Inspection
Contact your local fire marshal and arrange an inspection.
Obtain a Tax ID Number and Business License
Businesses in New Mexico must register for a state tax ID number, known as a Combined Reporting System (CRS) number. Contact the New Mexico Taxation & Revenue Department to get your CRS Number:
5301 Central Ave NE
Albuquerque, NM 87108
To register a dealership in your city, you have to contact local authorities. Find more information about registering your business with the City of Albuquerque here.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
The cost of an auto dealer bond is a small percentage of the total bond amount. The bond cost varies depending on your financial strength, e.g. personal credit. You can also take a look at our most frequently asked surety bond questions.
- Fill out our online application form to obtain a free bond quote for your auto dealer license. It takes 5 minutes and you will be able to lock your rate for the next 90 days (in case you want to purchase the bond).
- Bond Amount Required: $50,000
Compile the Required Documents
Complete a Pre-License Education Class
All motor vehicle dealer license applicants must pass a pre-licensing education class (PLE). The Pre-License Education Class is conducted by the New Mexico Independent Auto Dealers’ Association.
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Complete the Application for Dealers License (MVD-10035) and submit it along with your bond, supporting documentation and fee to MVD.
New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division
Joseph Montoya Building
P.O. Box 1028
1100 South St. Francis Drive
Santa Fe, NM 87504-1028
Telephone Toll Free: 888-683-4636 or 888-MVD-INFO