North Dakota Auto Dealer License Guide
Auto dealer licenses are issued by the North Dakota Department of Transportation.
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
The first thing you’ll need to do is figure out which type of auto dealer license you’ll be applying for. In North Dakota, the dealer types are:
- New or Used Motor Vehicle Dealer
- Motor-Powered Recreational (MPR) Vehicle Dealer
- Trailer Dealer
- Mobile Home and Manufactured Home Dealer
- Low-Speed Vehicles Dealer: A motor vehicle dealer’s license is not required; upon application, you acquire a dealer registration number.
For more information, review the Dealer Laws and Requirements.
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
Your business location must meet these requirements:
- The lot must cover at least 2,500 square feet. Secondary lots must be within 5 miles of the established business location.
- Your office must be properly heated, lighted and have the standard office equipment.
- All business records must be retained at your business location
- You must have a publicly listed telephone
- Your business sign must be at least 32 square feet and contain the name of the dealership in letters at least 10 inches high, clearly visible from the street
- MPR vehicle dealers must have a service or repair area
- Mobile home and manufactured home dealers must establish a place of business with an adequate service department
- Your premises must be inspected before your license will be issued
The cost of a North Dakota auto dealer bond is a small percentage of the total bond amount. The bond cost varies depending on your financial strength, e.g. personal credit. You can also take a look at our most frequently asked surety bond questions.
- Fill out our online application form to obtain a free bond quote for your auto dealer license. It takes 5 minutes and you will be able to lock your rate for the next 90 days (in case you want to purchase the bond).
Bond Amount Required:
- New or Used Motor Vehicle Dealer: $25,000
- Motor-Powered Recreational (MPR) Vehicle Dealer: $10,000
- Trailer Dealer: $10,000
- Mobile Home and Manufactured Home Dealer: $50,000
- Low-Speed Vehicles Dealer: no bond required
Obtain Proof of Liability Insurance
You will need to provide proof of garage liability insurance for your dealership.
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Complete the North Dakota Application for Dealer’s License and gather the supporting documentation, including your insurance certificate and bond.
Note: To access all dealer forms, visit the the North Dakota Department of Transportation website.
Application Fees (for New and Used Vehicle Dealers):
- $100 license fee
- $100 initial inspection fee
- $20 for each additional dealer plate (your license includes one plate)
Mail your completed application to:
Motor Vehicle Division
Department of Transportation
608 E. Boulevard Ave
Bismarck, ND 58505