Pennsylvania Auto Dealer License Guide
Auto dealership licenses in the state of Pennsylvania are issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT). The PDF guidebook Requirements On Becoming a Dealer and the required forms can be downloaded from the PennDOT website. The MV-349 form must be submitted, along with the additional documentation outlined in the dealer guide.
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
- New Vehicle
- Used Vehicle
- New Trailer Dealer
- Mobile Home Dealer (Dealer Identification Number only)
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
- Your business location must be separate from adjoining businesses or residences. The location may be owned or leased.
- Your location must meet local zoning and land use ordinances
- Your location must meet ADA accessibility requirements as outlined in the Requirements On Becoming a Dealer guide
The following photographs of your business location must be included in your application:
- The entrance
- Exterior signs
- The phone and desk area
- A secure area for storage of temporary cards and plates
- A clearly visible display for the public of the complete list of fees and charges relating to issuing temporary cards and plates
Complete a Criminal Record Check
An original criminal history record (SP4-164) must be obtained from the Pennsylvania State Police for each owner, partner or corporate officer and submitted with the application. Documents must be original and not a copy.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
The cost of a Pennsylvania auto dealer bond is a small percentage of the total bond amount. The bond cost varies depending on your financial strength, e.g. personal credit. You can also take a look at our most frequently asked surety bond questions.
- Fill out our online application form to obtain a free bond quote for your auto dealer license. It takes 5 minutes and you will be able to lock your rate for the next 90 days (in case you want to purchase the bond).
All auto dealers in the state of Pennsylvania are required to be bonded. Mobile home dealers do not require a bond. A completed Manufacturer/Dealer/Full Agent/Card Agent/Messenger Service/Salvor Bond< MV-375 form must be submitted with your application.
Bond amount: $30,000 bond for each authorized approved agent.
Compile the Required Documents
The following documents must accompany your application:
- A copy of the deed or lease for your business location
- Proof of liability insurance in the form of an insurance identification card, the declaration page (original or copy) of an insurance policy, a copy of an insurance binder signed by an insurance agent or broker, or a copy of an application to the Pennsylvania Automobile Insurance Plan (PAIP)
- A check for $60 made payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for payment of the Motor Vehicle Transaction Recovery Fund
- List of all owners, partners or corporate officers and their titles
- The completed Manufacturer/Dealer/Full Agent/Card Agent/Messenger Service/Salvor Bond form (Form MV-375)
- Section K of the application must be notarized
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Two copies of your application must be submitted. The application form must be typed.
Fee: $52 per dealer plate and $26 per motorcycle dealer plate
Note: Dealer plates may be personalized for an additional $100 per plate by filling out and attaching Form MV-904D
Mail your completed application to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 68283
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8283
800-932-4600 (in state) or 717-412-5300 (out of state)