How to Become a Contractor: Contractor License Requirements
Step #1: Determine the Type of License You Need
- General contractor license
- Subcontractor license
- Electrical contractor license
- Plumbing contractor license
Option #1: Research/contact your state's contractor license board, and determine the licensing requirements you must meet. This method is often time consuming, as many states make it difficult to find the necessary licensing information online.
Option #2: As an alternative to researching your state's requirements on your own, you can find out the exact requirements to obtain your license by selecting your state below.
Step #2: Study and Meet Legal Requirements
- Submitting a criminal record check
- Providing work history documentation
- Providing proof of liability insurance
- Passing your examination