COVID-19 Update: We are reducing costs for qualified applicants, and offering same day bonding.
Please apply online, or call our team for assistance. Learn more
Contact Our Experts

Rhode Island Contractor License Guide

In the state of Rhode Island, only utility contractors must be licensed at the state level. All other (in-state or out-of-state) contractors and subcontractors are required to complete contractor registration. The registration and licensing process is handled by the state of Rhode Island Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board.

Please note there might be different license and bonding requirements for construction contractors at a local level. Contact the city or county where you wish to operate for further information.


Determine the Type of Contractor License You Need

  • Underground Utility Contractor License - allows you to install, repair, alternate or replace sewer lines, water lines or storm drainage lines and related services.
  • Contractor Registration - allows you to work on commercial or home construction, alteration and/or repairs.

Out-of-state contractors can obtain an Underground Utility Contractor license or Contractor Registration by assigning an agent of service and fulfilling the same application requirements as in-state contractors.


Access Rhode Island Contractor License Application Forms

The application forms can be accessed via the Board’s website.


Fulfill Requirements and Obtain Required Documents

Underground Utility Contractors:

  • Fill out the pre-application: After you have completed the pre-application form you will be assigned a designated license number.
  • Provide proof of Rhode Island residency or assign an agent of service: You are required to be a resident of Rhode Island to be issued an Underground Utility license. Out-of-state applicants: appoint a registered agent or an attorney (with an office operating in Rhode Island) and complete section 2 of the application.
  • Submit a Limited Liability Insurance Certificate: The insurance must be in the amount of $1,000,000 and the Contractors Board should be listed as the certificate holder.
  • Provide proof of workers compensation: If you have employees, you are required to submit workers compensation insurance.
  • Submit (passing) test results


  • Complete pre-education courses: All new applicants working on residential constructions or residential and commercial constructions are required to have five hours of pre-education courses. For further information please contact the board or check the list of approved education providers and courses.
  • Show proof of liability insurance and workers compensation: You must be able to provide a certificate of liability insurance in the amount of $500,000. Make sure RI Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board (R.I.C.R.L.B.) is indicated as the certificate holder. If you have, or plan on having any employees you must provide information about the insurance carrier and the policy number. The liability insurance and workers insurance forms can be found in the application.
  • Sign and notarize the affidavit and attach it to your application.
  • If you are registering as an out-of-state contractor you will also need the following:

  • Assign a registered agent: To be issued a contractor registration you need to appoint a registered agent or an attorney (with an office operating in Rhode Island) and complete section 3 of the application.


Pass Your Examination

Applicants for the Underground Utility license must pass a written exam provided by PSI, in order to show understanding of the rules and regulations, as well as be able to read and interpret plans and specifications. For further information about the examination and scheduling an exam date visit PSI’s website or call them at 800-733-9267.


Obtain Your Contractor License Bond

All Underground Utility license applicants must submit a surety bond of $20,000 for two years in the name of the RI Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board.

Get a FREE Contractor License Bond Quote Today

Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.

Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure


Submit Your Rhode Island Contractor License Application

How to fill out your application:

Please type or print plainly in ink. Applications must be signed and notarized.

Additional instructions

Send your Underground Utility application with the bond, license fee and all supporting documents. Send your Contractor Registration application with the license fee, certificate of completed pre-education course and signed affidavit.

Licensing and Application Fees

Payments can be made via check and money orders and must be made payable to R.I.C.R.L.B. Underground Utility license applicants may also pay the fee by credit or debit card in person at the Board’s office. Cash will not be accepted.

Underground Utility License fees:

  • $50 pre-license fee
  • $200 license fee
  • $10 photo ID fee

Contractor Registration fees:

  • $200 registration fee (valid for 2 years)
  • $20 fee for any additional registration card

Mailing Address:

Please mail your application, supporting documentation and all applicable fees to:

The Department of Administration
Contractors’ Registration and Licensing Board
One Capitol Hill
Providence, RI 02908

Note: Underground Utility License applicants can also bring their application in person to the same address.

Get Your Free Licensing Tips

Get free licensing tips sent straight to your inbox.

  • Learn how to get licensed in a few easy steps
  • Understand the licensing requirements for your state
  • Learn how to stay compliant
  • Get a free license bond quote in minutes
Get Your Free Licensing Tips
We'll never share your information with third parties.

Get Your Surety Bonds from the Best Bonding Companies
We work with the top A-rated, T-listed surety bond companies in the nation

Jennifer Henson
Our company has been with JW Surety for several years now so when we needed to obtain a bond for a new company, we immediately went to them for help. Our rep, Melissa, was extremely helpful and prompt which made the process extremely easy for me.
David Tillotson
Trying to get a local Surety Bond was like driving a car on three tires. I searched Surety Bonds and found JW Surety Bonds. I got online and filled out the information and with in 30 minutes received a response from Melissa. She was informative, friendly and helpful. One more super satisfied customer.

The Nation’s #1 Volume Surety Bond Service
Our company writes $4,000,000,000+ in bonds each year!
  • #1 Bond Writer
    We are the nation's largest volume bond producer.
  • Easy Process
    Fastest online surety bond application process; we approve bonds instantly.
  • Lowest Rates
    Our high volume allows us to negotiate lower rates on your behalf.
  • Claim Specialists
    Your JW surety bond agent will be your claims advocate when you need them most.

Don't wait days to get bonded. Get your surety bond instantly!

Get Your Free Bond Quote
About JW Surety Bonds
We are a family owned and operated agency established in 2003. We started with just two people, and grew to become the largest volume bond producer in the nation with 50+ employees. Since day one, our team focus has been on providing real-time online quotes, an easy process, and the best in claims defense. Learn more about our company.