COVID-19 Update: We are reducing costs for qualified applicants, and offering same day bonding.
Please apply online, or call our team for assistance. Learn more
Contact Our Experts

Alaska Contractor License Guide


Determine the Type of Contractor License You Need

  • General contractors: oversee, supervise, and perform new home construction, commercial jobs, and residential remodeling valued at more than $10,000. Note: Should commercial or remodeling work be valued under $10,000, general contractors will be assigned a General Contractor Handyman license.
  • Mechanical contractors: responsible for mechanical trades such as plumbing, refrigeration, or HVAC, but cannot install mechanical controls without a separate electrical and mechanical administrator’s license. Applications also require a mechanical administrator’s license. Note: Should individuals encounter asbestos, hazardous paint, or explosives, the Department of Labor and Workforce Development mandates that further certification is necessary.
  • Specialty contractors: include roofing, excavation, carpentry, plaster contracting, and more. Note: When applying for a contractor license, if you select “other specialty” from the approved list of trades, include a detailed description for further governmental review. Should your work include more than three trades, you may need to apply for a general contractor license instead.


Access Alaska Application Forms and Documents

Application forms are available at the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development via the Corporations, Business, and Professional Licensing page.


Complete All Requirements and Obtain Required Documents

  • Provide evidence of workers’ compensation insurance. Worker compensation insurance must be provided by a private insurance carrier licensed for business in Alaska. An “all states endorsement” is not sufficient. If you do not have any employees, please check the Workers’ Compensation Insurance Form (08-4712) to review your options.
  • Purchase liability insurance. Minimum coverage of $20,000 for property damage, $50,000 for injury or death to one person, and $100,000 for the injury or death of more than one person. An insurance agency’s certificate of insurance or the Certificate of Insurance Coverage (form 08-4027c) will be accepted by the Department.
  • License your business. A contractor is required to have a state business license. Contact Business Licensing at (907) 465-2550 or consult the Business Licensing page. A new business license costs $50 and is active for five calendar years.


Obtain Your Contractor License Bond

The following Alaska contractor license bond amounts are required in order to be licensed, however you will pay only a percentage, or premium, to be bonded:

  • General contractors: $25,000 bond
  • General contractors with residential endorsement exclusively performing residential work: $20,000 bond
  • General contractors/handymen (project valued under $10,000): $5,000 bond
  • Speciality and/or mechanical contractors: $10,000 bond

A contractor license bond can be obtained and reported in one of three ways:

  • Issued by an insurance company or surety company. Both the bonding company’s power of attorney and bond needs to be signed by the principal as well as the surety (form 08-4027a). From a financial perspective, this is likely the best option.
  • A bank or trust company (authorized to do business and physically located in Alaska) issues a Time Certificate of Deposit or Savings Passbook. This document must read, “State of Alaska in trust for (contractor)”. The original document will be held by the State.
  • Cash may be deposited into a State-held Trust Account (non-interest bearing) and a cashier’s check obtained. The cashier’s check shall be accompanied by a signed and notarized Assignment of Cash Deposit form.

Note: Upon mailing in your contractor application, you must provide the original surety bond duly signed by the principal and provider, with surety seal and power of attorney.

Get a FREE Contractor License Bond Quote Today

Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.

Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure


Pass Your Examination

For a General Contractor’s license, unless you are expecting to carry out residential work, there’s no need to pass an exam. For General Contractors with Residential Endorsements, however, you will need to complete the Alaska Craftsman Home Program (ACHP), or the equivalent, within 2 years of your application.

Examinations and exam retakes both cost $150 and the results are valid for one year. You can find examination dates and times here. Exam sites are located in Juneau, Anchorage, and Fairbanks.


Submit Your Contractor License Application

How to fill out your application

Applications must be fully completed, signed, and notarized.

Licensing/Application Fees

To apply for a contractor license, please contact the Alaska Division of Occupational Licensing.

  • Non-refundable application fee: $65
  • Licensing fee: $235

The $300 total fee should be paid via check or money order, and payable to the State of Alaska.

Mailing Address:

State Office Building
333 Willoughby Avenue, 9th Floor
PO Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
Fax: (907) 465-2974
Email: [email protected]

Renewal Information

General contractor and residential contractor endorsement licenses expire on December 31st of even years, while specialty and mechanical contractor licenses expire on December 31st of odd years. Please note: In Alaska, it’s illegal to submit a bid or work as a contractor until you have received a certificate of registration from the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development.

Get Your Free Licensing Tips

Get free licensing tips sent straight to your inbox.

  • Learn how to get licensed in a few easy steps
  • Understand the licensing requirements for your state
  • Learn how to stay compliant
  • Get a free license bond quote in minutes
Get Your Free Licensing Tips
We'll never share your information with third parties.

Get Your Surety Bonds from the Best Bonding Companies
We work with the top A-rated, T-listed surety bond companies in the nation

Jennifer Henson
Our company has been with JW Surety for several years now so when we needed to obtain a bond for a new company, we immediately went to them for help. Our rep, Melissa, was extremely helpful and prompt which made the process extremely easy for me.
David Tillotson
Trying to get a local Surety Bond was like driving a car on three tires. I searched Surety Bonds and found JW Surety Bonds. I got online and filled out the information and with in 30 minutes received a response from Melissa. She was informative, friendly and helpful. One more super satisfied customer.

The Nation’s #1 Volume Surety Bond Service
Our company writes $4,000,000,000+ in bonds each year!
  • #1 Bond Writer
    We are the nation's largest volume bond producer.
  • Easy Process
    Fastest online surety bond application process; we approve bonds instantly.
  • Lowest Rates
    Our high volume allows us to negotiate lower rates on your behalf.
  • Claim Specialists
    Your JW surety bond agent will be your claims advocate when you need them most.

Don't wait days to get bonded. Get your surety bond instantly!

Get Your Free Bond Quote
About JW Surety Bonds
We are a family owned and operated agency established in 2003. We started with just two people, and grew to become the largest volume bond producer in the nation with 50+ employees. Since day one, our team focus has been on providing real-time online quotes, an easy process, and the best in claims defense. Learn more about our company.