Arizona Contractor License Guide


Determine the Type of Contractor License You Need

The Arizona Registrar of Contractors issues separate licenses for commercial and residential work, as well as dual licenses that cover both. Residential contracting includes construction on residential structures, such as houses, townhouses, cooperative units, etc. Commercial contracting is anything other than residential.

  • Commercial Contracting License: Allows you to work on projects of any size, as well as licensing the management and direct and indirect supervision of any work performed.
  • Residential Contracting License: Allows you to work on all construction, remodeling and repair work on residential properties.
  • Dual Contracting License: The dual license covers both commercial and residential work.

More information regarding license classifications can be found on AZ ROC’s Contractor’s License Classifications page.


Access Arizona Application Forms

Application and name request forms are available online via the Arizona Registrar of Contractors.


Fulfill Requirements and Obtain Required Documents

  • Reserve a name

Use the AZ ROC’s Name Request & Availability Form to submit three possible name options for your company. The first available name will be reserved for you for a 90-day period. Note: Mail your completed name request form to P.O. Box 6688, Phoenix AZ 85005-6688 or fax it to 602-542-7852.

  • Obtain an Employer Identification Number

You need to obtain an Employer Identification Number (also known as Federal Tax Identification Number) from the Internal Revenue Service. The EIN is used to identify a business entity. More information about the EIN and application procedure can be found on the Internal Revenue Service website. The service is free and you can obtain your EIN upon online completion of the application; you can also apply by fax or mail.

  • Provide Proof of Workers’ Compensation Insurance

If you have or will have employees, you are required to get workers’ compensations insurance. There are three ways to meet the requirements of the Arizona Workers’ Compensation Act:

  • Workers’ compensation insurance can be obtained from an insurance company licensed to issue workers’ compensation insurance in the State of Arizona. Visit the Arizona Department of Insurance for more information.
  • Employers who meet certain requirements can also apply for permission to be self-insured for workers’ compensation at the Industrial Commission of Arizona.
  • If you are self-employed, complete the Affidavit of Self Employment Exemption Under the Worker's Compensation Act included with AZ ROC's license application.

Make sure you provide the following supporting documents:

  • Notarized experience forms (detailing years of experience of the applicant)
  • Notarized project forms (providing details of previous projects completed by the applicant)
  • Financial statement
  • Copy of photo ID for all people to be named on the license
  • Background checks
  • Solar warranty (applicable to contractors applying for a solar license or with the word “solar” in the business name)

More information about the supporting documents can be found here (under Essential Parts of a Licensing Application Packet).

Contractor Insurance

There are several types of insurance coverages that are recommended for contractors, but the recommended coverage will vary based on your operation.

If you’d like to learn more about all of the insurance coverages available to you, please read our contractor insurance guide.


Pass Your Examination

A Business Management Examination is required for all qualifying parties. This includes people both employed by the entity and also experienced and engaged in the type of work classification for which the license is being acquired. The test includes state and federal law questions on the management of construction projects and business and financial management.

Many license classifications also require passing a trade examination. Check license classification and experience requirements for details on which exams you need to pass and the experience requirements. Psychological Services Inc (PSI) is the administrator of the exam; additional information can be found on the PSI’s exam page or by calling them at 1-800-733-9267.Further information regarding the examination can be found here.


Obtain Your Contractor License Bond

An Arizona contractor license bond needs to be filed (by the applicant or licensee) in the amount required for the respective license classification and annual gross volume. The bond can be in the form of a surety bond, cash bond, or a certificate of deposit from any bank operating in the state of Arizona.

Bond amounts can range from $9,000 to $100,000 and it must be obtained prior to submitting your application packet.

Note: Along with the license bond, residential and dual contractors are required to to provide an additional $200,000 for consumer protection. This can be done by either furnishing a $200,000 surety bond or cash deposit, or by paying for the required assessment to participate in the Recovery Fund (see the AZ Registrar of Contractors for more info).

For more details, please visit the bond information page on AZ ROC.


Get a FREE Contractor License Bond Quote

Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.


Submit Your Arizona Contractor License Application

How to fill out your application

Type or print plainly in ink. All questions must be answered and financial information completed.

Licensing Fees

The fees (non-refundable) for a contractor’s license depend on the type and class of license for which you are applying.

New License Application:

  • General Commercial: $780
  • Specialty Commercial: $580
  • General Residential: $870
  • Specialty Residential: $720
  • General Dual: $1,050
  • Specialty Dual: $850

For more information regarding the application fees and renewal fees, please refer to the Registrar of Contractors website.

Mailing Address

Submit your application along with the examination score and all supporting documentation to:

Registrar of Contractors
P.O. Box 6748
Phoenix, AZ 85005-6748

Get Free Licensing Tips

Get free licensing tips sent straight to your inbox.

  • Learn how to get licensed in a few easy steps
  • Learn how to stay compliant
  • Understand the licensing requirements for your state
  • Get a free license bond quote in minutes

We'll never share your information with third parties.

From Our Customers

Ready to Get Started?

Get a real-time quote today. You’ll be bonded in minutes, not days!