Louisiana Contractor License Guide
The contractor licensing process in Louisiana is handled by the State Licensing Board for Contractors (LSLBC). The requirements that you need to comply with are determined by the type of license you are applying for.
Determine the Type of Contractor License You Need
- Commercial License: All commercial projects of $50,000 or more require a license.
- Residential License: A residential license is required for residential building when the cost of the undertaking is more than $75,000.
- Home Improvement Registration: You will need to register as a home improvement contractor in order to perform any work in an amount between $7,500 and $75,000.
Note: Out-of-state-contractors may be eligible for reciprocity and can receive credit for classifications if they hold a contractor license from a state that has a reciprocity agreement with the Board, and meet all other requirements for licensure in Louisiana. Further information regarding reciprocity application process and forms can be found here.
Access Louisiana Contractor License Application Forms
All application forms are accessible via LSLBC’s Contractor Forms page.
- Commercial and Residential License Applications found here.
- Home Improvement Registration Application found here.
Fulfill Requirements and Obtain Required Documents
Applicants for Commercial or Residential License are required to take the following steps:
Note: If you cannot cover the $10,000 required, you can furnish a bond or letter of credit to the board plus (if applicable) the amount of your negative net worth.
- Depending on if you are applying as a limited liability company, partnership, or corporation, you are required to include a copy of relevant documentation in the Business Section of the application packet.
- Select at least one classification. Classifications, descriptions, and further information can be found here.
- Designate a qualifying party to take the exams or hold the classifications. The application form for qualifying parties must be signed, notarized and included in the license application packet.
- Additional information and eligibility requirements can be found here.
- Provide a notarized financial statement. You are required to verify that you have a net worth of at least $10,000.
If you are applying for a Residential License you will also need to:
- Provide General Liability and Workers’ Compensation Insurance Certificate. The proof of general liability insurance must be in the amount of $100,000 and should be mailed by the insurance agent to [email protected].
For Home Improvement Registration you will need to:
Note: The insurance certificate(s) should be directly emailed by the insurance agent to [email protected].
- Complete the registration application form.
- Provide a General Liability Certificate in the amount of $100,000 and proof of Workers’ Compensation Insurance.
Obtain Your Contractor License Bond
All Commercial and Residential License applicants must provide a financial statement that verifies a net worth of at least $10,000 before submitting the license application.
Applicants without the required net worth can file with the Board a Louisiana contractor license bond in the amount of the net worth requirement plus the amount of the applicant’s negative net worth (if any). Note that the LSLBC must be listed as an obligee.
Many cities and parishes in Louisiana require local licenses and surety bonds as well. Please contact your local authorities to confirm requirements.
Submit Your Louisiana Contractor License Application
How to fill out your application
- Complete, save and print out your application.
- Do not leave blank spaces. If a question from the application packet is not applicable indicate that with ‘NA’.
- If the writing space is not sufficient you are allowed to attach separate sheet(s).
- Get your Commercial or Residential application notarized prior to submitting it.
Licensing and Application Fees
All applicable fees must be included and send with the application.
Applicants for Commercial and Residential Licenses will find a fee schedule in the application packet including the price per classification, examination, and additional fees. Alternatively, you can calculate the total amount you will have to pay using LSLBC’s fee worksheet.
The Home Improvement Registration requires applicants to submit $75 check or money order made payable to Louisiana State Licensing Board for Contractors.
Please send your completed application and supporting documents to:
STATE LICENSING BOARD FOR CONTRACTORS
2525 Quail Drive
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70808
Pass Your Examination
Commercial and Residential License applicants are required to have at least one qualifying party who has passed the Business and Law exam.
After your application has been processed and the qualifier has been approved, a letter with exam registration information will be send to the qualifying party. This process takes 1-2 months.
The Business and Law exam is an online, open-book exam that you can take from your home or business computer.
Some classifications also require passing an additional Trade exam (please refer to the Exams/Classifications page for more information). The Trade exam must be taken at one of the testing centers. For more information and test center locations visit LSLBC’s Exams page.