Utah Mortgage Broker License Guide
In Utah, all mortgage loan originators must be licensed at the state level. The licenses are regulated and supervised by the Utah Department of Financial Institutions (DFI).
The license application process for mortgage entities and loan originators is managed by the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS). The NMLS system allows mortgage broker companies and individuals to apply, update, and renew licenses online.
Types of Mortgage Licenses in Utah
In the state of Utah, there are two main types of licenses: Company and Individual. Each license type depends on the work you wish to perform.
In this guide, we’ll only cover information regarding the mortgage loan originator license. You can review the full list of licenses on the NMLS website.
Most Common Individual License
- Mortgage Loan Originator License - allows individuals to take mortgage loan applications and/or negotiate the terms of mortgage loans for residential properties.
Utah State Requirements
All license applications must be submitted online through NMLS. Please note that some agency-specific documentation, such as the surety bond, must be sent directly to DFI at Utah Department of Financial Institutions, P.O. Box 146800, Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-6800.
For assistance with the license requirements, or for additional information, you may contact the Utah DFI at (801) 538-8830 or [email protected].
For questions and additional assistance with NMLS, please contact their call center at (855) 665-7123. For questions regarding the Mortgage Loan Originator education requirements, you may use the contact form provided on NMLS.
Education and Exams
Passing an exam is obligatory for some, but not all license types. In Utah, in order to obtain a Mortgage Loan license, you must complete a pre-licensure course and pass an examination.
Exams for Individual Licenses
- Mortgage Loan Originator License - To enroll for the MLO test you must complete at least 20-hours of an NMLS-approved education course. Further Information, as well as a list of approved providers, can be found on the NMLS Education page.
After completing the pre-licensure course, you can enroll and pay the exam fee via NMLS. You can schedule an exam date either through NMLS or by contacting the exam administrator Prometric at (877) 671-6657.
The NMLS testing page provides more information on how to schedule, prepare, and take the Mortgage Loan Originator exam.
UT Mortgage Broker Bonds
Bonds for Individual Licenses
- Mortgage Loan Originator - All applicants are required to furnish a surety bond. The amount depends on the origination volume of the applicant during the prior calendar year.
- $12,500 surety bond for loan volume of up to $5,000,000.
- $25,000 surety bond for loan volume between $5,000,000 - $15,000,000.
- $50,000 surety bond if the loan volume exceeds $15,000,000.
Fees for Individual Licenses
- Mortgage Loan Originator License
- $200 license fee.
- $30 NMLS processing fee.
- $15 credit report fee.
- $36.25 background check.
- $110 exam fee.
From Our Customers
Ready to Get Started?
Get a real-time quote today. You’ll be bonded in minutes, not days!