In the state of Indiana, agencies who engage directly or indirectly in the collection of claims owed or due to other entities must obtain a Collection Agency License.
Licensing is regulated and supervised by the Indiana Secretary of State Securities Division (SOS). However, new application forms are filed online through the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS). Some of the required documents need to be physically mailed to the Division within 5 business days of your electronic application submission.
Access Indiana Collection Agency License Forms and Related Documents
Application forms are available on the Indiana NMLS page. There are 2 different forms relevant to new Collection Agency applicants:
- Collection Agency Company License application form available here.
- Collection Agency Branch application License form available here.
Collection Agency License is required prior to obtaining a Branch license.
Note: Document links expire when forms are updated. If the provided links no longer work, please go directly to the Indiana NMLS page to obtain the form you need.
Fulfill Requirements and Obtain Required Documents
- Company Form (MU1) - Complete the form and provide the following information:
- Other Trade Name - There’s no limit how many Trade Names an agency can submit, but they must all be listed in the company form.
- Resident/Registered Agent - The information provided in the application form must match SOS records.
- Disclosure Questions - If you’ve answered “yes” in the Disclosure Questions section, provide an explanation and upload the relevant documents.
- Certificate of Authority/Good Standing Certificate - Upload an official document that proves your company is authorized to do business in the state of Indiana.
- (Attached) Home State License - If you’re licensed in your home state, mail a copy of the registration document, or provide an explanation if there’s no license requirement.
- (Attached) Licensing Affidavit - You can download the Affidavit from the SOS website (it is also accessible on the general SOS Collection Agencies page). The document must be notarized and mailed to the Indiana Secretary of State.
For more information be sure to also check out the NMLS’ quick guide for submitting a complete company form.
Obtain Your IN Collection Agency Bond
All Company Collection Agency License applicants must upload a bond furnished by a surety bond company. The name of the insured principal must be the same as the one in the MU1 form. Some documents (marked as "attached" in the previous section) and a copy of the surety bond must be mailed to the SOS, and not uploaded via the NMLS system.
If you’re applying for a Branch Collection Agency License, you’re also required to submit a bond for the same amount.
- Bond Amount: $5,000
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get a FREE Collection Agency Bond Quote Today
Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure
All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- IN Licensing Fee: $100
- Filing Fee for Each Branch Office: $30
Submit Your IN Collection Agency License Application
The MU1 form, Certificate of Authority/Good Standing Certificate, and documents relevant to the Disclosure Questions section must be uploaded online via the NMLS system. Documents which are marked as attached must be mailed to the Indiana Secretary of State no later than 5 business days of the electronic form submission.
For U.S. Postal Service:
Indiana Secretary of State
302 West Washington St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Note: Overnight delivery uses the same address.
If you need assistance with the NMLS application process, you can call (855) 665-7123.
To contact the Indiana Secretary of State licensing staff, you can either call (317) 232-6681 or email them at [email protected].