Auto dealer licenses are handled by the Department of Safety Division of Motor Vehicles. License applications must be submitted to your local DMV division.
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
- Retail Vehicle: If you sell 5 or more cars per year to the general public
- Transporter: If you transport vehicles for clients
- Automotive Recycling: If you sell/remodel used cars
- Repairer: If you repair vehicles
- Utility: If you sell/exchange trailers, tractors, construction and farm equipment, modular buildings, manufactured housing
- Wholesale: If you sell motor vehicles to licensed dealerships
Submit a Criminal History Background Check
The state of New Hampshire requires all dealership owners to submit a state criminal history background check. This should be attached to your Dealer License Application and your surety bond.
Note: Out of state applicants must submit both a New Hampshire background check and a background check from their home state.
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
Your business location must meet the following requirements:
- A permanent structure of 750 sq ft or larger, primarily dedicated to the business of selling vehicles
- A sign with your dealership name, visible from the nearest roadway. Sign letters must be 10 inches in height.
- A single business location with a Registration Certificate
- A permanent heating system
- Electrical outlets conforming to New Hampshire state code
- Have publicly posted regular business hours. The dealership must be open no fewer than 37.5 hrs/week.
Note: Dirt floors are permitted only at dealerships for heavy equipment and farming equipment.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
Auto dealers in New Hampshire are required to obtain a surety bond in order to become licensed.
Bond Amount Required: $25,000.
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get a FREE Auto Dealer Bond Quote Today
Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure
Establish an Agreement With a Service Facility
All dealerships in New Hampshire must have a service agreement with a nearby garage or repair facility. Applicants must complete the Original Service Agreement.
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Fill out the Application for Retail Dealer License and Registration and send it along with all required fees and supporting documentation.
Send your completed application to:
Department of Safety
New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles
33 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03305