In Nebraska, mortgage bankers must hold a license or registration issued by the state. The licenses/registrations are regulated and issued by the Nebraska Department of Banking and Finance (NDBF).
The license application process is handled by the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System (NMLS). NMLS allows mortgage companies and loan originators to apply, update, or renew a license online.
Types of Mortgage Licenses in Nebraska
The state of Nebraska has three major state license types: Company, Branch, and Individual. Each license type depends on the work you wish to perform.
In this guide, we’ll cover the most common licenses only. You can review the full list on the NMLS website.
Most Common Company Licenses
- Mortgage Banker License - allows companies and sole proprietorships to engage in mortgage lending, mortgage brokering, and mortgage servicing activities for residential loans.
- Mortgage Banker Registration - the registration is required of entities who make residential mortgage loans (but are exempt from Mortgage Broker Licensure) and/or employ licensed mortgage loan originators. For further information, as well as the complete description, please visit the NMLS website.
Nebraska State Requirements
All license applications must be submitted online via NMLS. Please note that some state-specific documents, such as the surety bond, must be uploaded to NMLS and mailed directly to NDBF. Please mail your documentation to one of the following addresses:
- For U.S. postal service: Nebraska Department of Banking and Finance, P.O. Box 95006, Lincoln, NE 68509.
- For overnight delivery: Nebraska Department of Banking and Finance, 1526 K Street, Suite 300, Lincoln, NE 68508.
For questions and further information regarding the license requirements, contact NE Department of Banking and Finance at (402) 471-2171 or [email protected].
For questions and assistance with your NMLS profile, contact NMLS call center at (855) 665-7123.
Education and Exams
Passing an exam is obligatory for some, but not all license types in Nebraska. To obtain a Mortgage Broker license or registration you don’t need to complete a pre-license course or pass examination.
NE Mortgage Broker Bonds
Bonds for Company Licenses
- Mortgage Banker License - In order to obtain a Mortgage Banker license, applicants are required to upload and mail a surety bond in the amount of $100,000.
- Mortgage Banker Registration - All registration applicants must upload and mail a $100,000 surety bond.
Fees for Company Licenses
The fees must be submitted through NMLS. All fees are not refundable or transferable.
- Mortgage Banker License
- $400 application fee.
- $100 NMLS processing fee.
- Mortgage Banker Registration
- $200 application fee.
- $100 NMLS processing fee.