Florida Mortgage Broker License Guide
This guide will provide the informatin needed to fully understand how to become a mortgage broker in Florida, including the mortgage license requirements, necessary education and exams, mortgage broker bonds, and expected licensing fees.
If you'd like assistance with the licensing process, our mortgage broker licensing partner can make the process seamless for you; learn more here.
Types of Mortgage Broker Licenses in Florida
Florida Mortgage Brokers license types include the following:
- Branch License
You can read the full list of license types and descriptions on the NMLS. Mortgage brokers in Florida require a mortgage broker license to begin activities, and the Florida Office of Financial Regulation oversees state licensing.
To register as a mortgage broker in Florida, successful candidates will provide the right business documentation. For a company license, first, register your business with the Florida Division of Corporations. Individual and company licenses require a credit report check in addition to state and national background checks.
Florida Mortgage Broker Education and Exams
To become a mortgage broker in Florida, proof of high-school education, 20 hours of an NMLS approved pre-licensure course, and passing the NMHLS licensing test are all required.
Mortgage Broker Bonds
A $10,000 mortgage broker surety bond is required for the state to ensure the office is maintained.
Broker Licensing Fees
A Mortgage Broker License in Florida requires a $425 application fee, $100 NMLS fee, $38.75 FBI criminal background check per individual. A Florida Mortgage Loan Originator License includes a $195 application fee, $30 NMLS fee, $36.25 FBI criminal background check fee, $24 state criminal background check fee. You may also include a credit report check for $15 per individual. Your license will also require an annual license renewal fee which can be reviewed on the NMLS site.
How to Get Your License: Step-By Step
- Set up an NMHLS Account: register online at the NMLS website to request an account.
- Complete Florida Pre-License Education: complete the 20-hour NMLS S.A.F.E pre-licensing course, including 2 hours of Florida content, and assignments required by The Office of Financial Regulation (OFR).
- Pass the NMLS Mortgage licensing exam: once the NMLS coursework is complete, use your NMLS account to schedule an appointment to take the National Test Component with Uniform State Content. The fee for the test is $110.
- Apply for your NMLS license: you can now apply for your broker license on the NMLS website as a company or individual, all fees are nonrefundable. Be sure to select the appropriate Florida License and finalize your application.
- Provide Required Information: you'll need to be prepared to provide fingerprints, state and national background checks, and a credit report.