COVID-19 Update: We are reducing costs for qualified applicants, and offering same day bonding.
Please apply online, or call our team for assistance. Learn more
Contact Our Experts

Connecticut Collection Agency License Guide

In the state of Connecticut, people engaged in the business of collecting or receiving payment for others need to first obtain a Consumer Collection Agency License.

Licensing is regulated and supervised by the Connecticut Department of Banking (DOB).

New license applications are processed by the Multistate Licensing System (NMLS). If your company has already obtained another type of license through the NMLS (e.g. Debt Negotiation License), the application process boils down to completing online the MU1, MU2, and MU3 forms (if applicable), and then mailing in the relevant jurisdiction-specific documents.


You can access application forms on the Connecticut NMLS page. There are several different CT company, branch, and individual licenses. If you’re interested in operating as a collection agency, the following are the forms you should complete and submit:

  • Consumer Collection Agency License application form available here.
    • Consumer Collection Agency Branch application License form available here.

Consumer Collection Agency License is required prior to obtaining a Branch license.

Note: Document links may have expired as they are updated regularly. If you find issues, go directly to the Connecticut NMLS page to find the application you need.


Fulfill Requirements and Obtain Required Documents

  • Certificate of Authority: You must be registered with the CT Secretary of State. However, you don’t need to provide proof of the registration, as it will be confirmed by the DOB when you apply for a license.
  • Company Form (MU1): When registering through the NMLS, this form serves as the application for the Collection Agency License.
    • Other Trade Name: Include any trade names you wish to use. It’s the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all names have been registered with the relevant local (municipality) or government agency.
    • Resident/Registered Agent: The information in this section must match the most recent Connecticut Secretary of the State records.
    • Bank Account: Include the company’s operating and trust accounts.
    • Qualifying Individual: List an individual who is a ‘control person’ for the company. The same person should also complete the MU2 form.
    • Disclosure Questions: Provide an explanation and upload the relevant documents for any “yes” responses in this section.
    • Business Plan: Include a business plan that is complete with marketing strategies, products, target markets, a fee schedule, and operating structure.
    • Relevant Documents:
      • copies of form letters to be used in the collection of payments
      • sample client agreement
      • sample contract to be used with the creditor to whom child support is owed (only if you intend to collect child support)
    • Formation Document: Upload a copy of one of the applicable documents, including all subsequent amendments:
      • Corp: certified copy of the corporate charter or articles of incorporation
      • LLC: articles of organization and operating agreement
      • PTR: partnership agreement
    • Management Chart: include a chart explaining the agency’s structure and management roles, complete with individual names and titles.
  • Financial Statements: Upload an unaudited financial statement, including balance sheet, income statement, statement of cash flow, and all other relevant documents. Note that the financial statement must be uploaded separately (See the Financial Statement Quick Guide for more info).
  • (Attached) Supplemental Disclosure Question: Answer the additional disclosure questions about receivership and assignment for the benefit of creditors. You will also need to mail all associated documents to the DOB.
  • (Attached) Statement of Acknowledgement: If you plan to engage only in debt buying, download and complete the statement of acknowledgement form and mail it to the DOB.

Additional info about the forms highlighted above is available in the “Quick Guides” page.


Obtain Your CT Collection Agency Bond

Applicants must submit a company bond furnished by a surety company. The full legal name or “Other Trade Name” who is insured must exactly match the name used in the MU1 form. You’ll also need to mail the signed surety bond to the DOB.

  • Bond Amount: $25,000

Get a FREE Collection Agency Bond Quote Today

Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.

Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure


License Fees

All fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.

  • CT Licensing Fee: $400
  • CT Investigation Fee: $100


Submit Your Collection Agency License Application

Online applications forms must be submitted online through the NMLS, while other jurisdiction-specific requirements (marked as attached) must be mailed to the DOB within 5 business days of your electronic NMLS submission.

Mailing Address:

Connecticut Department of Banking
Consumer Credit
260 Constitution Plaza
Hartford, CT 06103-1800

If you have questions related to the NMLS application process, contact their call center at (855) 665-7123.

For questions directed to the DOB staff, contact them at (860) 240-8200, or toll-free at (800) 831-7225.

Get Your Free Licensing Tips

Get free licensing tips sent straight to your inbox.

  • Learn how to get licensed in a few easy steps
  • Understand the licensing requirements for your state
  • Learn how to stay compliant
  • Get a free license bond quote in minutes
Get Your Free Licensing Tips
We'll never share your information with third parties.

Get Your Surety Bonds from the Best Bonding Companies
We work with the top A-rated, T-listed surety bond companies in the nation

Jennifer Henson
Our company has been with JW Surety for several years now so when we needed to obtain a bond for a new company, we immediately went to them for help. Our rep, Melissa, was extremely helpful and prompt which made the process extremely easy for me.
David Tillotson
Trying to get a local Surety Bond was like driving a car on three tires. I searched Surety Bonds and found JW Surety Bonds. I got online and filled out the information and with in 30 minutes received a response from Melissa. She was informative, friendly and helpful. One more super satisfied customer.

The Nation’s #1 Volume Surety Bond Service
Our company writes $4,000,000,000+ in bonds each year!
  • #1 Bond Writer
    We are the nation's largest volume bond producer.
  • Easy Process
    Fastest online surety bond application process; we approve bonds instantly.
  • Lowest Rates
    Our high volume allows us to negotiate lower rates on your behalf.
  • Claim Specialists
    Your JW surety bond agent will be your claims advocate when you need them most.

Don't wait days to get bonded. Get your surety bond instantly!

Get Your Free Bond Quote
About JW Surety Bonds
We are a family owned and operated agency established in 2003. We started with just two people, and grew to become the largest volume bond producer in the nation with 50+ employees. Since day one, our team focus has been on providing real-time online quotes, an easy process, and the best in claims defense. Learn more about our company.