In South Dakota, the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulations is responsible for the licensing of electrical and plumbing contractors.
Determine the Type of Contractor License You Need
- Electrical Contractor - install, maintain or extend electrical wiring systems in, on or outside of buildings and sites. There are several types of business and individual electrical licenses, among them:
- Electrical inspector
- Plumbing Contractor - install, maintain and repair pipes, fittings and other apparatuses of water supply, sanitation and heating systems. Several types of license are available for plumbing, including:
For a full list of electrical license types, visit the SDDLG website.
Note: Visit the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulations website for more information regarding reciprocity agreements for electrical licenses.
For a full list of plumbing license types, visit the SDDLG website.
Note: South Dakota holds a reciprocity agreement with Colorado, Minnesota, Montana and North Dakota.
Access South Dakota Contractor License Application Forms
All contractor license application forms can be found at the South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulations website.
Fulfill Requirements and Obtain Required Documents
Electrical Contractor License:
- Depending on the type of electrical license you are applying for, you are required to meet a certain work experience criteria.
- Provide proof of employment history.
- Fill in the Verification Form which is used to verify your work experience hours.
Plumbing Contractor License:
- Depending on the type of license you are applying for you are required to meet a certain number of on-the-job working hours in the field of plumbing prior to applying for a contractor license. For more detailed information on the working hour requirements for different plumbing licenses, visit the South Dakota Plumbing Commision website.
- Provide a written statement from your present and previous work employers. You must include the date of employment, the number of hours worked during the specific employment and the extent of the work performed during this time.
- Provide school records such as a diploma or GED. You are required to present this information if you have completed a plumbing course at an accredited university or college.
- Submit two professional references with whom you have worked in the plumbing industry.
Submit Your South Dakota Contractor License Application
How to fill out your application:
Applications must be typed or printed in black ink. All answers must be completed. Failure to do so will cause a delay in processing time.
Electrical Contractor license: Applications must be signed and dated.
Plumbing Contractor license: For questions which do not apply, you can answer with “none” in the space provided.
Note: Reciprocity applicants must accompany their application with a photocopy of their current license from the state in which they are licensed.
All fees are non-refundable.
- Electrical contractor:
- Contractor - $30 application fee, $40 license fee
- Class B - $40 application fee, $40 license fee, $50 bond application fee
- Journeyman - $40 application fee, $40 license fee, $50 bond application fee
- Plumbing contractor:
- Contractor - $340 examination and license fee
- Journeyman - $185 examination and license fee
Note: Examination fees will vary depending on the type of license you are applying for. You can get more information regarding examinations at (800) 233-7765.
Note: Examination fees will vary depending on the type of license you are applying for. You can get more information regarding examinations at (800)-233-7765
South Dakota Electrical Commission Department of Labor & Regulation 308 S. Pierre Street Pierre, SD 57501
South Dakota Plumbing Commission 308 S. Pierre Street c/o 1320 E. Sioux Avenue Pierre, SD 57501
Pass Your Examination
Once you have mailed in your application and all other required forms, you must pass an exam depending on the license type you are applying for. The South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulations will contact you with more information regarding where and how to take your exam. For more information, call (800)-233-7765.
Obtain Your Contractor License Bond
In the state of South Dakota, licensed electrical contractors and Class B electricians are required to obtain a contractor license bond. The surety bond must be the original document signed by the applicant and notarized in the amount of $10,000.
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get a FREE Contractor License Bond Quote Today
Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure