In the state of Oregon, anyone performing construction work for compensation is required to have a contractor license. The exceptions to this rule are gutter cleaning, power and pressure washing, and handyman work on projects with a contract value of $1,000 or less. The licensing process is handled by the Oregon Construction Contractors Board (CCB).
Determine the Type of Contractor License You Need
- Residential Contractor License: Permits you to work on residential projects and small commercial projects (if they cost less than $250,000 and the structure area is less than 10,000 square feet).
- Commercial Contractor License: Allows you to work on all types of commercial structures.
- Dual License: Allows you to work on both residential and commercial projects of all sizes.
Access Oregon Contractor License Application Forms
The application and surety bond forms can be accessed via CCB’s Forms and Fees page.
Fulfill Requirements and Obtain Required Documents
- Determine the types of endorsements and structures you will work on: Within each license type there are a number of endorsements (classifications). As a licensed contractor, you are required to carry the correct endorsement for the type of structure you will be working on.
In CCB License Endorsements Chart you can find an overview and description of the types of structures and endorsement classifications along with limitations and type of work you’re allowed to perform.
- Designate an RMI and complete the pre-licensing training
Note: If you are applying for any of the following endorsement types, you may skip this step: Residential Developer, Commercial Developer, Residential Locksmith Services Contractor, Home Inspector Services Contractor, Home Services Contractor, Home Energy Performance Score Contractor, or Residential Restoration Contractor.
All other endorsement type applicants are mandated to choose a Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) who will complete the training. The individual can be an owner, officer, partner, or employee of the company.
The RMI must complete 16 hours of pre-licensing training, including business law and best practices with an approved trainer. You can find a list of CCB approved pre-license educators along with prices and contact information here.
- File your business name: File your corporation, LLC, or assumed business name with the Oregon Secretary of State, Corporate Division.
- Submit certificate of general liability insurance: You must provide a certificate of insurance, showing proof of a current public liability and property damage insurance policy. The required insurance amount depends on the license endorsement for which you are applying. Further information regarding insurance requirements and insurance amount can be found on CCB’s Liability Insurance page.
- Provide proof of workers compensation insurance: If you have – or plan on hiring – employees, you are required to obtain workers compensation insurance from the Oregon Workers Compensation Division. You also need to provide an Oregon Business Identification Number (BIN) and Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN).
- If applying for Commercial Level 1 or 2 endorsement, you are required to designate key employee(s). A key employee is an owner or an employee with management or supervisory authority over the construction activities of the business.
Information on how to obtain a BIN can be found via Oregon Department of Revenue.
Information on how to obtain an EIN can be found via the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Your Commercial Level 1 key employees must have 8 years’ total of construction experience. The construction experience for Commercial Level 2 key employees is 4 years.
Pass the Examination
The Responsible Managing Individual (RMI) must pass a test after completing the required 16-hour training course. Upon successful completion of the training course, an education provider will submit this information to PSI Services, the exam administrator.
After receiving an email confirmation you may schedule your exam via PSI’s website or by calling (800)-733-9267. The test is based on the NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management.
Additional information and exam location can be found in the Oregon CCB Examination Candidate Information Bulletin.
Note: Test results are given immediately upon completion of the exam. An official score report will be printed at the examination site. You must send a copy of this report along with your application.
Obtain Your Contractor License Bond
All license applicants are required to provide an original Oregon contractor license bond. The bond amount depends on the contractor’s endorsement.
The amounts for residential license bonds vary between $10,000 and $20,000. Commercial license bonds range from $20,000 to $75,000. For bond requirements and specific bond amounts for each license type, please visit the CCB’s Surety Bonds page.
Note: The bond must be issued on a CCB bond form and sent with the application.
- The Residential CCB Surety Bond form can be found here.
- The Commercial CCB Surety Bond form can be found here.
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get a FREE Contractor License Bond Quote Today
Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure
Submit Your Oregon Contractor License Application
How to fill out your application
Please print the application and complete every section using black or dark blue ink.
The license application, copy of test score report, original surety bond and the Certificate of Liability Insurance must be submitted together. Issuing the license will be delayed if the application is incomplete or documents are missing.
Note: Email payment will not be accepted. Please fax forms with payment information to CCB at 503-373-2155.
Applications are typically processed within 7 to 10 days.
Licensing and Application Fees
Payments to CCB can be made via check, money order, or debit/credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover). The application fee payment form is available in the application packet.
- $250 Licensing fee for a two-year license
- $60 Examination fee (paid to PSI)
Note: The licensing fee is normally $325 but from July 1st, 2017 - June 30, 2019 it has been lowered to $250.
Send your completed and signed application with the $250 fee and all supporting documentation to:
PO Box 14140 Salem, Oregon 97309-5052
Or deliver in-person or overnight mail to:
201 High St. SE, Suite 600 Salem, Oregon 97301
Note: The Board is open on business days from 8am to 5pm., Tuesdays from 9am to 5pm. Your application can be processed on the same day if you arrive before 4pm.