In the state of Oklahoma, all electrical, plumbing and mechanical contractors must be licensed at the state level. The licensing process is handled by the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board (CIB).
General contractors are not required to have state licenses, but there might be local requirements. For more information, please contact the local city or county where you anticipate working as a general contractor.
Determine the Type of Contractor License You Need
- Electrical Contractor License:
- Unlimited Contractor & Journeyman – an Unlimited Contractor can install, maintain and repair wires, cables, and equipment that transmits or uses electrical energy. An Unlimited Electrical Journeyman is allowed to perform the same work but under the supervision of an Unlimited Contractor.
- Residential Contractor & Journeyman – a Residential Contractor covers wiring buildings for one and two family residences. A Residential Journeyman may perform that work if working under the direct supervision of a Residential Contractor.
- Plumbing Contractor License:
- Plumbing Contractor & Journeyman – A Plumbing Contractor can perform any plumbing work including water supply, sanitary/storm drainage, and natural gas piping. A Journeyman can perform plumbing work under a Plumbing Contractor’s supervision.
- Mechanical HVAC Contractor License:
- Mechanical Contractor & Journeyman – Mechanical Contractors can install, maintain, modify, service and/or repair ventilation systems, heating equipment, and cooling system including process piping. A Mechanical Journeyman must work under direct supervision of a licensed contractor.
Oklahoma has reciprocity agreements for Electrical Journeyman License with AK, AR, CO, ID, MT, NE, SD, TX, WY. For more information please visit CIB’s Guidelines for Electrical License Through Reciprocity.
Note: To work as a Journeyman you will need to be trained as an apprentice first and then obtain an Apprentice Registration card by completing the relevant application. Further information can be found on the Board’s website.
Access Oklahoma License Application Forms
Forms and applications can be accessed via the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board.
Fulfill Requirements and Obtain Required Documents
- Provide proof of workers’ compensation insurance: All contractors who plan on having or currently have employees must be able to provide proof of workers’ compensation insurance.
- Obtain liability insurance: Each contractor is required to provide proof of liability insurance in the amount of $50,000.
- Provide proof of sufficient experience:
- Electrical License applicants: The hours of experience depend on the type of electrical license you are applying for. Detailed information can be found within the application packet.
- Plumbing License applicants: If applying for a journeyman license, you are required to have 3 years’ experience in the plumbing trade (employed by a licensed plumbing contractor or while serving in the US military), or hold a current and in good standing out-of-state plumbing license. Contractor plumbing applicants must meet the same requirements but with an additional one year of experience. More information is available in the license application.
- Mechanical License applicants: The experience requirements are 3 years’ experience in the mechanical trade for a journeyman license, and 4 for a contractor license. Further information is provided in the application.
- Electrical License (all types): Provide a complete work history and employer information. All fields in the Employment Record section of the license application must be filled out.
Note: You can send your liability insurance certificate along with the required surety bond after your application has been approved and you have passed your examination.
Submit Your Oklahoma Contractor License Application
How to fill out your application:
Please type or print plainly in ink.
All attachments must be on separate 8 ½‘’ x 11’’ single-sided paper and attached to the application with a paperclip and not a stapler. The check or money order must be on top of the application packet.
Licensing and Application Fees:
Payments (check or money order) must be made payable to the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board.
- $330 for any type of Contractor License application
- $75 for any type of Journeyman application
- $88 exam fee (for Electrical, Plumbing, or Mechanical exam)
Mail your license application and all supporting documentation to:
2401 NW 23rd, Suite 2F Oklahoma City, OK 73107
Pass Your Examination
Once the CIB approves your contractor license application, you will receive a letter of confirmation and your information will be forwarded to the testing provider PSI. It is your responsibility to contact PSI for study material information, fees, and available exam dates via the PSI website, or by calling 800-733-9267.
The required exams vary per license. To determine which exam is necessary to gain licensure, please check your application or via CIB's Testing/Exam Information page.
Obtain Your Contractor License Bond
All contractor license applicants in Oklahoma are required to furnish a $5,000 surety bond in the name of the license holder, made payable to the Oklahoma Construction Industries Board. The bond must have original signatures, seals and Power of Attorney attached. The CIB requires the bond to be continuous and to allow for a 30-day cancellation notice.
Note: Your license will not be active until CIB receives proof of the bond.
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get a FREE Contractor License Bond Quote Today
Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure