In the state of Montana, the Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation is responsible for the issuance of water well contractor licenses. The Montana Department of Labor and Industry is in charge of electrical contractor licenses.
Determine the Type of Contractor License You Need
- Water Well Contractor - there are several types of water well contractors:
- Water well contractors
- Monitoring well construction
- Water well driller
- Electrical Contractor - there are several types of electrical contractors including:
- Residential - performs electrical work, typically in a house or apartment, as opposed to a commercial or industrial environment.
- Journeyman - licensed to work without direct supervision. Journeymen can only work with permits issued by a master electrician.
- Master - oversees the work of journeymen. A master lays out installations and wiring systems in addition to getting permits for work.
For a full list of electrical licenses and requirements, visit the Montana Department of Labor and Industry website.
Note: These states hold reciprocity agreements with the state of Montana: AK, AR, CO, MN, ND, NE, NH, NM, OK, SD, TX, UT and WY. Out-of-state applicants must fulfill all requirements and documents as a Montana applicant, and complete the form for out-of-state licensures.
Access Montana License Application Forms
Fulfill Requirements and Obtain Required Documents
Water Well Drilling Contractor License:
- If you are applying for a water well driller license, you must provide the name of the contractor for whom you will work.
- Evidence of a one year apprenticeship or equivalent work experience is required. You must provide detailed information such as the contractor you have worked for, dates of employment, wells you have worked on in the past, etc. For more information, visit the Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation website.
- State whether or not there have been disciplinary or legal actions taken against you and and if so, the outcome of the proceeding.
- Provide 3 professional references in the water well industry. The references must provide a written statement regarding the type of work you have done and your work performance overall.
- Provide a detailed description of your employment records. You must include the employer’s name, address and telephone number.
Note: You must provide 3 references with whom you do not work in your current employment.
Note: Your application will typically be processed within a 90 day period.
Electrical Contractor License:
Please note that the requirements and required documents may differ depending on the type of electrical license you are applying for. For a detailed list of requirements and documents, visit the Montana Department of Labor and Industry website.
- Depending on the type of license you are applying for, you must meet certain educational requirements such as an approved apprenticeship or training program.
- You must meet certain experience requirements in the form of on-the-job hours. You must provide third-party verification of your practical experience.
- Provide certification by your employer, stating the hours and type of work you have done in the field. Depending on the type of license you are applying for, you must meet certain work experience criteria.
- If a civil legal proceeding has ever been filed against you, you must attach a detailed explanation and initiating documents, in addition to the final disposition.
- If you have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony, you must submit a detailed explanation and the charging documents and final judgement/order of dismissal. For more information regarding past convictions, visit the Montana Department of Labor and Industry website.
- Attach an explanation and documentation if you have been court-martialed or discharged dishonorably from the armed services.
Note: Your application will typically be processed within a 30 day period.
Submit Your Montana Contractor License Application
Licensing and Application Fees:
- Water Well Contractor:
- $375 application and examination fee for water well contractor
- $375 application and examination fee for monitoring well construction
- $275 application and examination fee for water well driller
- $5 Administrative Rule Book (optional)
- Electrical Contractor:
- $240 application fee by examination
- $250 application by reciprocity or credentialing
- $50 temporary work permit for exam candidates
Note: Payments must be made by check payable to Board of Water Well Contractors.
Note: Payments must be made by check payable to the State Electrical Board
Board of Water Well Contractors Department of Natural Resources and Conservation P.O. Box 201601 Helena, Montana 59620-1601
Montana State Electrical Board P. O. Box 200513 Helena, Montana 59620-0513
Pass Your Examination
Water Well Contractors:
Once you have mailed in your application and evidence of apprenticeship, you will be notified regarding whether or not you are eligible to take the examination.
You may take your appointed examination any weekday in the State Board Office located at 1424 9th Avenue in Helena. It may also be taken in the Department of Natural Resources and Conservation Water Resources (DNRCWR) regional offices, which are listed within the application.
You are required to have more than 80% to pass your examination. An Administrative Rule Book is available at the office upon request. You may pay your examination fee online at the Montana DNRC website.
Applicants who have been approved by the State Electrical Board will be allowed to register for the examination. When you are approved you will be issued a letter, with which you can register to take the exam within a week. PSI is the exam vendor for the State Electrical Board. For more information, visit the Montana Department of Labor and Industry website.
Obtain Your Contractor License Bond
Once you have passed your examination, you are required to obtain an original contractor license bond if you are applying for a water well contractor license. There are two types of bonds you can obtain:
- Individual bond in the sum of $4,000
- Corporation, firm or partnership bond in the sum of $10,000
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get a FREE Contractor License Bond Quote Today
Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure