To become a contractor in the state of Delaware for jobs valued at $50,000 or more, you are required to obtain a business license and complete the type-specific contractor application package. The Delaware Division of Revenue handles the contractor licensing process, and all license application and related forms must be submitted to them.
Determine the Type of Contractor License You Need
- General Contractor License: Any general/prime contractor, subcontractor, construction manager or other type of construction contractor who does not regularly maintain a place of business in Delaware is required to obtain a General Contractor License.
- Non-Residential Contractor License: This license is for any general/prime contractor, subcontractor, construction manager or other type of construction contractor who regularly operates a place of business in this state.
Access Delaware License Application Forms
The Combined Registration Application (CRA) forms are available at the Department of Finance via the Contractors, Resident and Non-resident page.
Fulfill Requirements and Obtain Required Documents
In order to complete the Combined Registration Application (CRA) for State of Delaware Business License, you must do the following:
Register your business:
- Submit the necessary information, select an ownership type (provided in the application form) and enter its code.
- State whether you will have employees in Delaware or Delaware residents who work out of state.
Note: All contractors doing business activities within the state of Delaware are required to obtain a business license and pay an additional fee.
Complete the special requirements form for contractors (incl. in the CRA):
- Register with the Department of Labor or supply a Certificate of Notice issued by the Division of Unemployment Insurance.
- Provide evidence of insurance (Worker’s Compensation). If you don’t have any employees, submit the Division of Industrial Affairs form.
- Architects, professional engineers and construction contractors/managers are required to file with the Division of Revenue a statement of the total value of any (sub)contract with non-residents of Delaware within 10 days of entering into the contract.
Obtain Your Contractor License Bond
A contractor license bond is required only for non-residential contractors. The bond is equal to 6% of the contract amount for all single (sub)contracts exceeding $20,000 OR when the aggregate of two or more (sub)contracts in a calendar year totals $20,000 or more.
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get a FREE Contractor License Bond Quote Today
Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure
Submit Your Delaware Contractor License Application
How to fill out your application
Please type or print plainly in ink. All questions must be answered and financials completed.
Licensing and Application Fees
A check must be made payable to the Delaware Division of Revenue. Please attach and send your check for the licensing fee with your application.
- $75 annual licensing fee for both contractors and subcontractors (may be prorated the first year).
The prorate basis for initial licenses is included on the 3rd page of the registration application.
Submit your Combined Registration Application, license fee and all supporting documentation to:
DIVISION OF REVENUE P.O. BOX 8750 WILMINGTON, DE 19899-8750