Auto dealer licenses in Wyoming are handled by the state Department of Transportation.
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
- New Vehicle Dealer
- Used Vehicle Dealer (sales of less than 12 vehicles per year)
- Used Vehicle Dealer (sales of more than 12 vehicles per year)
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
You must have a permanent business location which has the following requirements:
- A permanent structure which is not a residence
- Storage space for all business records
- A display area for at least five vehicles
- An exterior sign with the name of your dealership
- A listed landline telephone
- Meets local zoning and permit restrictions; a letter of approval from the city or county must be submitted with your application
Clear color photos of your business location must be submitted with your application, showing the building, sign and vehicle display area. A deed, lease or rental agreement for the property is also required with your application.
Complete a Criminal Record Check and Fingerprinting
Each owner of your business must complete the Wyoming Vehicle Dealer/Wyoming-Based Manufacturer License Background Check Supplemental Information Questionnaire.
Fingerprint cards for a non-criminal justice record and an FBI criminal justice record must be included with the questionnaire. Contact your local law enforcement agency to have your fingerprints taken. A $39 fingerprint processing fee in certified funds made payable to “Attorney General - DCI” is required. This process may take 30 days or more and your application for a license cannot be approved until this step is complete.
For any questions about this step, call WYDOT Compliance and Investigation at 307-777-3815.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
Once your license has been approved, you’ll need to provide a surety bond. You are required to provide the bond only after your application has been approved. The instructions and form are available online.
Bond Amount Required:
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Mail your completed application and all required documentation to:
WYDOT, ATTN: Motor Vehicle Services
5300 Bishop Blvd.
Cheyenne, WY 82009-3340
For used vehicle dealers selling less than 12 vehicles per year: $25