Auto Dealer Licenses in Vermont are handled by the Vermont Agency of Transportation, Enforcement Safety Division. There is a single license type for all new and used auto dealers.
Determine Which Type of License You Need
Vermont has two basic types of auto dealer licenses:
- New Auto Dealer License
- Used Auto Dealer License
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
Vermont has several requirements before you submit your application:
- Your dealership must be open at least 104 days a year
- You must own (in which case you must provide a deed) or lease (for a minimum period of a year) a property of at least 1,200 square feet devoted primarily to selling vehicles, though this does not apply to ATV, snowmobile, or boat dealers
- You must sell at least 12 vehicles a year
- Your location must comply with all local zoning requirements; confirmation of zoning compliance from the town will need to be included in your application
Fill Out Your Application
Once you meet all of these pre-application criteria, you can download and fill out the online application.
Compile the Required Documents
You must submit the following documents along with your application:
- Proof that you do not have a criminal record that would violate the terms of 23 V.S.A. § 800
- New car dealers will have to provide a valid sales or service agreement
- New Auto Dealers must supply a franchise agreement
- Proof of insurance for your dealer plates
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
All Vermont auto dealers must be bonded. The amount will vary depending on how many vehicles you’ve sold in the previous two years, but all new dealers have a fixed bond amount of $35,000. The form is available online.
Bond Amount Required:
- Less than 25 vehicles: $20,000
- 25 to 100 vehicles: $25,000
- 101 to 250 vehicles: $30,000
- 251 or more vehicles: $35,000
- All new dealers: $35,000
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get a FREE Auto Dealer Bond Quote Today
Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Mail your completed application to:
Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles
120 State Street
Montpelier, Vermont 05603-000
Fees: After your application has been approved, the final step is to pay the $375 license fee. This fee comes with 3 dealer license plates. All additional plates can be purchased at $40 a plate.
Note: Applications should be approved within six weeks.