Auto dealership licenses in the state of Pennsylvania are issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT). The PDF guidebook Requirements On Becoming a Dealer and the required forms can be downloaded from the PennDOT website. The MV-349 form must be submitted, along with the additional documentation outlined in the dealer guide.
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
- New Vehicle
- Used Vehicle
- New Trailer Dealer
- Mobile Home Dealer (Dealer Identification Number only)
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
- Your business location must be separate from adjoining businesses or residences. The location may be owned or leased.
- Your location must meet local zoning and land use ordinances
- Your location must meet ADA accessibility requirements as outlined in the Requirements On Becoming a Dealer guide
The following photographs of your business location must be included in your application:
- The entrance
- Exterior signs
- The phone and desk area
- A secure area for storage of temporary cards and plates
- A clearly visible display for the public of the complete list of fees and charges relating to issuing temporary cards and plates
Complete a Criminal Record Check
An original criminal history record (SP4-164) must be obtained from the Pennsylvania State Police for each owner, partner or corporate officer and submitted with the application. Documents must be original and not a copy.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
All auto dealers in the state of Pennsylvania are required to be bonded. Mobile home dealers do not require a bond. A completed Manufacturer/Dealer/Full Agent/Card Agent/Messenger Service/Salvor Bond< MV-375 form must be submitted with your application.
Bond amount: $30,000 bond for each authorized approved agent.
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get a FREE Auto Dealer Bond Quote Today
Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure
Compile the Required Documents
The following documents must accompany your application:
- A copy of the deed or lease for your business location
- Proof of liability insurance in the form of an insurance identification card, the declaration page (original or copy) of an insurance policy, a copy of an insurance binder signed by an insurance agent or broker, or a copy of an application to the Pennsylvania Automobile Insurance Plan (PAIP)
- A check for $60 made payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for payment of the Motor Vehicle Transaction Recovery Fund
- List of all owners, partners or corporate officers and their titles
- The completed Manufacturer/Dealer/Full Agent/Card Agent/Messenger Service/Salvor Bond form (Form MV-375)
- Section K of the application must be notarized
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Two copies of your application must be submitted. The application form must be typed.
Fee: $52 per dealer plate and $26 per motorcycle dealer plate
Note: Dealer plates may be personalized for an additional $100 per plate by filling out and attaching Form MV-904D
Mail your completed application to:
Bureau of Motor Vehicles
P.O. Box 68283
Harrisburg, PA 17106-8283
800-932-4600 (in state) or 717-412-5300 (out of state)