Determine Which Type of License You Need:
- New Motor Vehicle Dealer
- Used Motor Vehicle Dealer
Note: You can find more information about the different types in the regulation manual.
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
The location must have the following requirements:
- An established salesroom with at least 96 sq ft of floor space (excluding wholesalers)
- For wholesalers only: An established office with at least 96 sq ft of floor space
- A sign that has letters of at least three inches in height
Note: Make sure the established office and/or salesroom are in compliance with all state, county and municipal zoning regulations and ordinances.
Attend a Pre-Licensing Course (Used Motor Vehicle Dealers Only)
Used motor vehicle dealers must complete a 12-hour licensing course approved by the DMV before applying for their license. Information on applicable courses is available here.
Obtain Liability Insurance
Comprehensive liability insurance covering your dealer plates is required. Your provider and policy number must be included on your application.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
Bond Amount Required:
- $50,000 for one established salesroom
- $25,000 for any additional salesrooms
Compile the Required Documents
- An assumed business name must be filed with the Register of Deeds in the county where the business is maintained, if the business will be operated under any name different from the owner/s
- If the business will be conducted as a corporation, you need to file articles of incorporation with the North Carolina Secretary of State
- A Trader’s License from the municipality and county must be obtained before filing your application
Arrange for a Business Location Inspection
All dealerships must be inspected and approved by an agent of the License and Theft Bureau before your application is submitted.
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Fill out the application form and pay the fees:
- $70.00 for each place of business
- $28.00 per plate for the first five plates
- $14.00 per plate for additional plates
- $14.00 per dealer transporter plate
- $25.00 for 25 temporary markers
Send your completed application to:
North Carolina Department of Transportation
Division of Motor Vehicles
License and Theft Bureau
Raleigh, NC 27697-0001