Auto dealer licenses in Montana are granted by the Montana Department of Justice Motor Vehicle Division. All of the information on the requirements is available online.
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
- Franchise Dealer (D)
- Used Dealer (U)
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
To begin, you’ll need a location that has the following required features:
- A permanent non-residential building where sales are made, records are kept and a lot where vehicles are displayed.
- Access to the internet, along with a printer and computer, is needed in order to issue electronic temporary registration permits (TRPs).
- A sign stating the name of the business and indicating that vehicles are offered for sale, trade or consignment. The letters of the sign must be at least six inches in height and clearly visible and readable to the major avenue of traffic at a minimum distance of 150 feet.
- Telephone service at the established place of business must be installed and maintained in the dealership's name and listed in the directory assistance that applies to the area in which the business is located.
- Written notice of your office hours, conspicuously posted at your established place of business.
- If you are selling new motor vehicles, you must have a service department.
Obtain Proof of Liability Insurance
All dealers must have liability insurance covering automobile liability for “any auto” in their stock. A certificate of liability insurance from an insurance carrier authorized to do business in Nebraska must be obtained and submitted with your application.
Compile the Required Documents
You’ll also need to provide the following documents along with your application:
- Evidence of compliance with all city/county requirements. To do this, you must obtain written verification signed by the authorized representative of the local land use or zoning board.
- Franchise dealers must also provide the name and address of the manufacturer, importer, or distributor with whom they have a sales agreement. They must also provide name and make of all vehicles they will be handling.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
An official auto dealer surety bond is required for all applicants, so make sure you get bonded before you submit your application.
Bond Amount Required: $50,000
Submit Your Dealer License Application
When you’ve fulfilled all of the requirements, print and fill out a copy of the online application form.
- License and application fee (used and franchise dealers): $30
- Dealer plates: $35
Mail your application to:
Montana Department of Justice Motor Vehicle Division 1003 Buckskin Drive Deer Lodge, MT 59722-2375
The processing time is 2-3 weeks.