Auto dealer licenses in Louisiana are granted by the Louisiana Motor Vehicle Commission. For information on a new or franchise car dealer license, contact them directly at (504) 838-5207. Used car dealer licenses are handled through the Louisiana Used Motor Vehicle Commission. A downloadable PDF of the used car dealer license application is available here.
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
Your application license will differ if you’re applying for a new or used vehicle license. Within those applications, simply mark which specific type for you require.
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
To begin, you must have a permanent location meeting the following requirements:
- You must have a location which is owned or leased, and where the books and records required for the conduct of the business are maintained and kept.
- Your location must have a permanently affixed sign with the exact trade name placed in front of the business and clearly visible from the street or roadway. The minimum size is 4’x4’. A picture must be provided with your application.
- You must have an installed and listed landline phone.
Meet Zoning Requirements
You must provide proof that you meet all local zoning laws and municipal requirements. Details of these requirements can be obtained through the relevant local agencies.
Complete an Educational Training Seminar
At least one owner, general manager, office manager, title clerk, or salesperson must attend a seminar. The registration form is included with the PDF of the application
Obtain Proof of Liability Insurance
You’ll need to provide garage liability insurance with minimum coverage of $55,000.
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
All dealers must obtain a bond to get licensed. The bond form is included in the dealer license application.
Bond Amount Required:
- $20,000 (if you sell 119 units or less in a twelve-month period)
- $35,000 (if you sell 120 units or more in a twelve month period)
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get a FREE Auto Dealer Bond Quote Today
Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure
Submit Your Application
The application may be scanned and submitted by email to the relevant administrative coordinator. A list of the coordinators and their email addresses is available online.
- $400 for a two-year license
- $35 for a criminal history background check for each applicant who has been convicted or pled guilty to any crime other than a traffic violation within the past ten years