This guide will take you through each step required for obtaining a used car dealer license in Georgia. Used car dealers need to obtain a dealer license from the Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers and Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers.
The process is different for new car dealers. New dealers must obtain dealer agreements with manufacturing companies as franchisees. Dealers require a local business license and a dealer registration number from the Motor Vehicle Division of the Georgia Department of Revenue. New car dealers can sell used cars without a Georgia dealer license.
Determine Which Type of License You Need:
- Used Motor Vehicle Dealer
Obtain a Permanent Business Location
Your business location must meet the following requirements:
- Your location can be a sales room, an office in a building or an open lot.
- The location must meet all zoning requirements. Verify current zoning regulations for the location with your city or county planning and zoning office.
- Take photos of your place of business that feature the sign and building prominently in the picture. These will be attached to your license application.
- Set up a permanent landline phone with a listed number at your place of business. Your business should have appropriate signage showing that used car sales are taking place.
- Do not submit your application until your proposed facility is ready for inspection.
Obtain a Sales Tax Number
Submit a Criminal Record Check and Fingerprints
Register online at the Georgia Applicant Processing Services (GAPS) or by calling Cogent Systems at 1-888-439-2512.
- When registering, the ORI number to use when prompted is GA922400Z. The Verification Code is 922400Z.
- The Reason for Printing is Used Motor Vehicle Dealer License.
Results of the fingerprint-based background check will be available for board review after the fingerprint process is complete.
Attend a Pre-Licensing Seminar
All applicants for a used car license are required to attend a board-approved seminar prior to applying for an initial license.
Obtain Proof of Liability Insurance Coverage
An original certificate of insurance must show:
- Policy number
- Amount of coverage (liability-only is not acceptable)
- The exact name and address as shown on the application
- “Certificate Holder” must be listed as: State Board of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers, 237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, GA. 31217
Obtain Your Auto Dealer Bond
The cost of an auto dealer bond is a small percentage of the total bond amount. The bond cost varies depending on your financial strength, e.g. personal credit. You can also take a look at our most frequently asked surety bond questions.
- Fill out our online application form to obtain a free bond quote for your auto dealer license. It takes 5 minutes and you will be able to lock your rate for the next 90 days (in case you want to purchase the bond).
In order to get a license and operate legally, you’ll need to obtain an auto dealer bond.
- Bond Amount Required: $35,000
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get Your Free Bond Quote
Get a FREE Auto Dealer Bond Quote Today
Get free pricing from the top bond companies in the U.S.Get Your Free Quote No obligation | 100% Secure
Submit Your Dealer License Application
Complete the Used Car Dealer Application online and make sure all required documents are in order.
Fee: $170 (check or money order)
Mail your completed application to:
Georgia State Board of Registration of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers and Used Motor Vehicle Parts Dealers Board of Used Motor Vehicle Dealers 237 Coliseum Dr. Macon, GA 31217