All forms of vehicle titling are handled by the Missouri Department of Revenue’s Motor Vehicle Bureau. If you have any specific questions during the process, you can find your local office’s contact information by searching for it by zip code on the main page. Full regulations can be found in the Missouri Titling Manual.
The Missouri Lost Car Title Application Process
This process is in place for proving ownership of a vehicle when other options aren’t available. A bond is required to ensure the good faith of the person claiming ownership of the vehicle. The first step to obtaining this type of a title is determining eligibility.
Step 1: Determine if You’re Eligible
To obtain a bonded vehicle title in Missouri you must meet the following requirements:
- Your motor vehicle or trailer must be at least seven years old.
- The vehicle must be worth $3,000 or less.
- The vehicle has not been previously titled with the Motor Vehicle Bureau, or there is a conflict over ownership of the vehicle.
Step 2: Compile the Required Documents
You’ll need several documents for your Missouri lost title application:
- A completed application for Missouri Title and License (form 108).
- A statement explaining how the vehicle was acquired and why ownership cannot be definitively proven.
- You should include any documents you have that provide evidence of your ownership of the vehicle.
- If the vehicle was previously titled in another state and has no Missouri title record, you should provide title verification from that state.
- If there is a lienholder on record, you must provide a notarized lien release.
- You’ll also need to fill out and include an odometer disclosure statement (form 3019) unless your vehicle is exempted (contact the motor vehicle bureau for information about exemptions).
Step 3: Obtain a Vehicle Examination Certificate
You’ll need to have a member of the Missouri State Highway Patrol or the St. Louis City or County Auto Theft Unit fill out a vehicle examination certificate (form 551).
Step 4: Obtain a Surety Bond
You’ll need to obtain a surety bond worth double the value of your vehicle (with a minimum bond amount of $100). The value must be determined by the Kelly Blue Book, NADA Used Car Guide, or two appraisals from motor vehicle dealers licensed by the Department. The form for providing your bond can be found under “Exhibit C” in the Motor Vehicle and Marinecraft Titling Manual.
Your application must be submitted along with any state and local taxes you owe. The amount of those taxes is determined by your particular state and local tax laws along with the value of your vehicle listed on the surety bond. The fee is $8.50 for the duplicate title and a $2.50 processing fee.
You can submit your completed application to your local Missouri Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Bureau office. Information on the location of your local office can be found by the search form on the main page of the department website. Application processing takes an estimated 30 days.