Colorado Lost Vehicle Title Bond

ColoradoIf a repair shop intends to sell an abandoned vehicle with a missing title, Colorado’s amendment SB 144 states that they would need to provide a surety bond of twice the amount of the retail fair market value of the vehicle. This law became effective January 1, 2009.

Eric is the Chief Marketing Officer of JW Surety Bonds. With years of experience in the surety industry, he is also a contributing author to the surety bond blog. He has held a range of different roles within the surety industry, from agent assistant to bond issuer, which gives him a unique insider perspective on surety related topics.


Eric Weisbrot

Hey Tom,

Since the procedures vary drastically by state, you will need to contact the Colorado DMV for that information. Let me know if you have any other questions.


I have a question please. In Colorado, to get a bond for title application; do I need to fill out the states title search and get the owners name or can I just provide the owners name to the Bonding company?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *