Insurance Bond Guide
"Insurance bond" and "bond insurance" are terms incorrectly used by those who want to get surety bonds, fidelity bonds or both. One bond type protects the public and is required of you, while the other protects you or your customers and is usually optional.
There are many different surety bonds required for a variety of professions and other uses. They protect the public by guaranteeing you will follow the law or operate properly.
Surety Bond Types:
- License and permit bonds allow you to get a license or permit for your business, and ensure you will follow laws and regulations.
- Contract bonds are needed to work on construction jobs (generally public jobs), and guarantee you will complete projects properly.
- Court bonds are often needed to become someone's guardian or an executor of an estate, and ensure you will fulfill your responsibilities as ordered by a court.
If you don't follow the law or perform your job properly, a claim can be filed on your surety bond that you must pay.
Fidelity bonds are insurance that can protect you or your clients from employee dishonesty, and are generally optional to obtain. These bonds are popular among businesses that regularly enter customers homes such as cleaning companies.
Fidelity Bond Types:
- Business service bonds protect your clients from dishonest acts by your employees like theft.
- Employee dishonesty bonds protect you from your own employee's dishonest acts such as theft or forgery.
- ERISA bonds allow you to have employee benefit plans and protect the participants and beneficiaries from fraud.
- Financial institution bonds are a type of employee dishonesty bond, but specifically protect large financial institutions like insurance companies and banks.
You only need a bond if it is required of you. Surety bonds are required to operate, while fidelity bonds are usually optional. Use our guide below to determine which bond you need.
Yes, some professions require you to have both, such as security guard services. Since state bond requirements vary greatly, it's best to contact your state directly or contact us to determine the requirements.
You can apply and get a quote instantly. Whether you need a surety or fidelity bond, we can get you bonded. If you are unsure of what type you need, use our guide below.
Surety bonds cost a small percentage of the required bond amount, which is based on your personal credit. Apply to get an exact quote.
Fidelity bond pricing is based on the amount of coverage you'd like and the amount of employees you want included under the policy. You can apply to get exact costs.
1-Step Ballpark Estimate
"The guys and gals at JW Surety came through for me! When I told them how urgent my request was, they pulled out all the stops and got it done in record time - amazing!"